Voicing of high bass on Steinway L

Bec and John Silva bjsilva001 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 21:29:53 MST 2006

Hello,

I know the Steinway L's high bass section is notorious for being
problematic, but I am looking for advice from someone who has had
success in getting an excellent transition from the B to the Bb -
i.e. retaining the "buzz" from the C28 and B27 through to the Bb26
and A25 while maintaining a decent tone and moderate attack.

I almost gave up hope of getting the sound, but just today I heard an
old Steinway L that had the *exact* the tone I was looking for: the
highest notes matched the low tenor extremely well, I was very
surprised just how well. A full tone with some (good) buzz. I'm
fairly certain they were original strings.

So, I'm assuming there must be someone out there who knows what I'm
talking about and has some advice for voicing the hammer to get this
tone (as best as is possible, at least). For those who are familiar
with that not-so-pleasant sound that is so often in that Bb26 on L's
and sometimes the A25, I figured they may know a general approach to
relieving this sound.

Thanks!

- John