Voicing of high bass on Steinway L

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Mar 9 20:26:54 MST 2006

It's possible but it would probably not be as good as changing to a wound
string.  Often the Bb26 is too loud for the transition because of the
combination of soundboard differences at the bottom of the tenor bridge and
the top of the bass bridge and the difference in overall tension between
notes 26 and 27.  You can try mass loading the top of the bass bridge and
see if it helps.   The large vise grips on the bridge pins on note 26 will
tell you something.  If it seems to work you can add a brass weight from the
underside.  That will help with the upper end of the bass bridge.  It won't
resolve the low tenor problem unfortunately.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net