Fw: v-bar/capo repair (& bridges)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 11 11:20:48 MST 2006

> Just so I know (or will try to understand when I next visit the beloved
> Seiler, if I should decide to try experimenting with the bridge by "loading"
> it with my vise-grips, what would an improvement tell me?

To try and see if two Vise-Grips is better, to tell you how
much brass to screw on underneath.

> What would an increase in noise tell me?

That your Vise-Grip fell off. It'll always get somewhat
quieter, you're testing whether the tone quality can be
brought more into line. I've lost track, are you doing this
for tone quality or still trying to quiet the front duplex?
This isn't likely to fix the duplex.

> The more simply put, the better.  I've tried following the soundboard/bridge
> threads, but somehow my eyes usually end up rolling up in my head and I pass
> out....well, sort of.  :-)

Me too, depending on who's saying what.

> And, in each case, would there be anything a simpleton (like me) could do?

If a simpleton like me can understand some part of this, a
simpleton like you can too. Go forth and Grip, and listen to
what it tells you.

> Just trying to cover all the bases here.

There are more bases to cover than are possible in field
repair, but it's sometimes possible to compensate to a degree
for some problems. This might be one, so be prepared to get
lucky and smile like you knew it all along if you do. If not,
it was worth a try, and you learned something.

Ron N