So, let's talk about damper lift

James H Frazee jimfrazee at msn.com
Tue Mar 14 16:28:08 MST 2006

First, thanks for your suggestion of the "doing the right thing" which I will begin tomorrow.  The piano is my own SD-10 and I will take no shortcuts to keep it as close to perfect as possible.  I had already read most of what was available in the archives and just wondered why I couldn't find the tool.  Also thanks to Joe Goss about using goosejuice which I will probably try but not on this piano.  Relative to the issue of damper lift, I find that too little damper travel makes "flutter pedaling" difficult at best simply because our feet don't enjoy the fine motor skills that our fingers/hands have.  (vis a vis pianissimo playing)  True, this technique is used most in romantic and post-romantic works but when necessary it produces a beautiful result not otherwise attainable.  Setting the damper lift at not less than 7 mm allows for this, even tho the spec is 7/8" which is enough to drive a truck under.