So, let's talk about damper lift

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Mar 14 17:03:26 MST 2006

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org on behalf of A440A at aol.com
Sent: Tue 3/14/2006 4:10 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: So, let's talk about damper lift

Ed:

If the pianist things there's too little pedal travel put in some lost motion.  They might perceive that as enough.  The half pedal is a very precise spot and they've learned how to get there so as long as there is enough motion to the pedal I think they should be able to find it.

dp

__________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt at smu.edu

--- big snip ---

     Having the pedal lift only enough to clear the dampers from the string
will often make a very short throw of the pedal and some pianists have
expressed trouble half-pedaling with so little movement available.
I am interested in the collective ideas here about this.  Anyone?

Ed Foote RPT