So, let's talk about damper lift

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Tue Mar 14 23:35:46 MST 2006

HI Ed,

You might remember that I did some experimenting a few months ago to "lighten" the feel of a piano by changing the damper timing to the key(once lowering the damper wires in the blocks, once bending the spoons).  IN order to compensate for the late lift, I had to readjust the pedal mechanism (trap lever stop, upstop rail, and pedal rod capstan).

For my playing--not virtuouso by any means--I found that the decreased damper lift  above the strings from either the key and the pedal (slightly below key lift) didn't have any noticeable negative effects.  Others who played the pianos quite liked the way they felt.

Several people on this list felt that inadequate damper lift would alter the feel, and the fullness of the sound because the damper might not be lifting from the string in time to escape the initial large waves created by the initial hammer strike.  To me, it felt and sounded fine soft or loud.

Regards,

Dave Stahl