So, let's talk about damper lift

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Wed Mar 15 06:55:47 MST 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 7:31 AM, A440A at aol.com wrote:
> My question was not looking for consensus, but, rather, to gather
> others' impressions as to where the final height of lift should be
> for optimum performance.

The damper up-stop rail should not limit the highest motion of the
underlevers, either by the key end, the sustain pedal, or  the
sostenuto; it should be there to limit any further motion after this
highest lift. As I regulate these three, the sostenuto needs to lift
higher than the key end, which needs to lift higher than the sustain
pedal. (That's regardless of whether the pivoting of the damper tray
by the sustain pedal is adding to the lift of what damper levers the
key ends may already be lifting when the sustain pedal "kicks in".)

While the damper up-stop rail shouldn't be so low as to interfere
with the underlever motion (whatever's driving it), it shouldn't be
so high that there's a significant gap between the key end's highest
lift and where the up-stop rail stops the underlever. On a firm blow
the damper will continue to fly upwards after the key end reaches the
end of its stroke. It will then bang into the up-stop rail, which
will absorb some of the energy, but most will be there with the
underlever after it ricochets off the up-stop rail and heads straight
back down for the key end.

The energy of that collision is the same regardless of how high or
low the up-stop rail is set. What does change is the time delay
between the shock of the key front bottoming out and the shock of the
returning underlever hitting the other end of the key. Nice to get
those two done with in fairly short order.

The key end is the lift which is the least independent of other parts
of the regulation. I set my sustain lever blocking and the sostenuto
rail height and pittman travel in relationship to the key end lift.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.
wbps at vermontel.net

"Round here we don't talk unless we can improve on the silence."
     ...........Ron Rude, local Public Radio Commentator.