How do you subdue silicone in a finish?

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 09:21:25 MST 2006

Dear List,
     I'm trying to put a  proper decal ( not mailbox
letters ) on the keycover of an 1880 Chickering. From
the ripples and fisheyes in the existing lacquer, it
is evident that prior to being poorly refinished,
silicone-contining polishes were used.
     I wet sanded ( 600 grit silicone carbide with
naptha ) the existing finish flat, then tried to spray
a base coat of Deft lacquer, and it fisheyed all over
again. So I wet sanded it again, and tried spray
shellac. Same disgusting result.
     I'm guessing that several really fine "mist
coats" of shellac or Deft would have to be sprayed,
until it creates a seal up over the silicone-permeated
lacquer underneath. Then decal, then full wet
topcoats. But I thought I'd ask y'all how you might
handle this stumper.
     Thanks!