How do you subdue silicone in a finish?

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 16 14:26:09 MST 2006

It is certainly true that "fish-eye" preventer works, but I have always avoided its use for the simple reason that once you use it, you ALWAYS have to use it because it contaminates your spray system forever.  If you want the ability to spray other finishes thru the same equipment it should be avoided at all costs, IMHO.

  I have yet to encounter a contaminated surface that shellac will not adhere to, thereby sealing off the contaminates for further finishing.  In all but one case a 2lb cut of shellac - one coat - has been adequate to prevent problems.  A second coat of 2 lb. cut would certainly guarantee success, even the most difficult situations.  If spraying lacquer, there is no need to sand the surface of the shellac for adhesion, and I tend to think it is better left unsanded if you are overly concerned about silicone contamination causing problems with lacquer flow-out.

  Neither am I a big fan of building up a thick pore-filling film of shellac if lacquer is to be used for the top-coats.  The differences in the flex of the 2 finishes is likely to cause premature cracking, crazing, or other maladies.

  Using dewaxed shellac is preferred, although if top-coating with lacquer this doesn't seem to be an issue.

  Mark Potter

Thomas Cole <tcole at cruzio.com> wrote:
  I haven't had any luck trying to "neutralize" or wash out silicone oil
with solvents, including acetone. The usual fix is to put a little
silicone (fish eye preventer) into what you're spraying.

I just found an article on line that advises against fish eye preventer
and advocates ammonia to clean a contaminated surface. It might be worth
a try.

Tom Cole