Chickering "Browne" action spring-positioning advice most earnestly sought ...

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 14:52:47 MST 2006

Dear Everyone,
    I have just spent 350 hours restoring a
Chickering "Browne" action. If I ever faced this
again, I'd do everything in my power to convince the
client to install a modern action! ( Let that be a
warning to you. I wouldn't wish these things on my
worst enemy! )
     So here I am. Everything is repaired restored and
repinned, yet I can't figure out how to get the
assemblies that hold the "butterfly" springs into
position !!!!!!  One end of each spring goes into the
loop on the jack, the other into the loop on the
forked end of the "Wypyn" thingee.  When I try to put
one sppring end into position, the last 3 I positioned
pop back out again !!!!! It is 10 times worse than
dealing with the lifters on the crummiest spinet.
  I thought I'd seek advice here, before I go
completely bonkers. Please help!

    Thanks!