Shop Dust Control

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Mar 17 17:18:19 MST 2006

It can make noise in the area of 92 dB which is similar to a noisy lawnmower or a motorcycle. Recommendations for noise reduction include using PVC instead of metal for ducting, having a few short sections of flex hose to isolate the cyclone, and adding a muffler to the exhaust. One installation suggests these steps help lower noise from 92 dB to 73 dB, which is about what a vacuum cleaner makes. My intention is to install my cyclone in my garage, which is adjacent to my shop and exhausting outside in back of my shop - that should lower the noise quite a bit also. I am concerned about bothering my neighbors though because their back porch and pool are right next to my garage. I was thinking if the garage gets too noisy, I might enclose the cyclone with some sound-deadening material and put a small fan in there to keep the motor cool - I don't know exactly how that will all work out, I'll just have to wait and see.

I'm expecting to hear something akin to a freight train when I turn the thing on for the first time.

As for the existing dust - I think the first step has to be to vacuum everything - many areas have a fairly thick layer of dust. But yeah, I've heard that many shop owners do like you with compressed air. I'll get to that point eventually.

I wouldn't mind a higher ceiling - I've got eight feet - but raising the ceiling of out of the question!

Terry Farrell