Chinese based Heintzman

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 18 13:45:29 MST 2006

> Hi Don,
> I guess what caught my eye was the pin sticking through the block. It seems
> to me that the block is not thick enough, the pins have no support for the
> foot end allowing the pin to flagpole on the foot of the pin, as well as the
> neck.

Pins don't flagpole at the bottom, Joe. There is almost zero
string tension induced pressure on the pins at the bottom.
They just lie down there quietly awaiting their chance to jump
and snap when someone trys to turn them.

>Very poor design,
> Waranty materials issue, needs correct thickness pin block?
> Joe Goss RPT

The block thickness is fine. That ain't it.

Don, the only way to tell if the stability will be enhanced by
filling the gap is to fill the gap, tune it, and report back
in six months as to how it did. As much bad press as that
plate flange gap gets, I've seen only a few instances where
shimming it out cured tuning instability problems. If it
works, great. If not, that ain't it neither.

Ron N