Methanol

piano2ba1 at att.net piano2ba1 at att.net
Sun Mar 19 10:10:28 MST 2006

Methanol of high refinement can be bought from an auto supply store or dept. store and is somestimes called "dry gas", a fuel additive which is poisonous. It is used to dissolve water which forms in a car's gas tank and may clog the fuel line in winter. I have used highly refined industrial methanol, which is also highly poisonous and yet has no odor, but fortunately you need very little and should always used adequate ventilation because you can't smell it unless it has additive.
I was told that methanol may shrink the wood around the bushing of the flange or hammer shank if too much is applied. It dissipates moisture, so it is good for humid conditions, but must be used sparingly. On NY Steinway parts, the methanol will "flush out" the solid lubricant impregnated within the wool of the bushings so that extra care must be used on those in particular.
Gary Bauchman, RPT

-------------- Original message from Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net>: --------------