Cyclone Dust Collection

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Mar 20 14:56:17 MST 2006

Terry,

Here's the post again with the impeller wheel image included.

Dean's suggestion is a good one.

>That's a possibility, and it might be possible to control the noise
>a bit better than the garage, but I would be concerned about the
>motor overheating if the enclosure is not vented (and a vent would
>presumably let the noise out also), and then with our very high
>humidity summers in Florida, I would be concerned about the motor
>and other parts corroding (the garage would be better than outside
>and the shop superior in this regard).

A plywood box will reject enough heat to prevent the motor from
overheating. The whole box will heat up a bit but the motor will
survive. Don't forget that you'll have over 1000 CFM of relatively
cool air going through the cyclone unit. As the box heats up some of
the heat will reject from the box back into the air being cleaned
within the cyclone.

>I don't think you really want to put the thing in a box. Good to
>throw out the idea though, I'll email the manufacturer and ask that
>very question - because if you can, then I might want to put it in
>the garage and put a noise-reduction box around it so I don't bother
>my neighbors.

Exactly, and your garage will keep rain off the plywood box, so you
won't have to worry about building it from marine grade ply. But you
will need to build an access door for emptying the collection drum.

Just had a look at Ed Morgano's site. He's using a backward curved
impeller wheel. He's doing some very good work. The Jet range of
dust extractors have similar good-design impellers, but they don't
have a cyclone upstream to the collection filter.

Ed Morgano's backward curved impeller wheel.
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.html

That Mini Cyclone that Ed builds for shop vacs is a most excellent
idea. I've been considering the same idea, but here's a man who's
already done it. Buying a unit is far easier than building one.

I've already sent an enquiry. Thanks for the lead Terry.

Best,
Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY