CA delivery apparatus, verdict

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Mar 20 17:42:32 MST 2006

Attached is a photo (grainy due to reduction) of the drafting pen
made by Charvoz Roos. The lever is a quick release for cleaning.
The only place I found on the web for them was from 'used item'
sites, in drafting sets. They might be out of production.

The bottle with either the micro-capillary tube or fine needle attached
delivered too much material too fast. I forgot to squeeze the
air out first which would have reduced the flow/dripping but
that only works for a while. Plus, with the large reservoir (bottle)
a large unwanted flow has great potential.  I want more control
and goof proof. Emphasis on the later.

The lubed syringe with a fine needle was very precise but I would have
appreciated the added flow control that a screw drive would have offered.
Time to think about the mechanics of a CA gun (similar to a caulking gun).
Just need to find a thumb screw or such with ultra fine threads.

The pen delivered a measured amount with precision. It clogged often
so the wholesale treatment of the bridge would be best served with the
syringe. A 1/8" bead of glue in the pen wicked right in when touched on
the base of the pin without a trace and stopped the false beat.
This would be perfect for spot sizing on the job where producing
a lubed hypo and subsequent clean-up is prohibitive.

A combination worked well too. I placed the pen tip on a crack or base
of the pin and fed the glue with the syringe. If you keep the reservoir
to a minimum the flow wicks in without overflow.
The tip of the pen acted as a fine-point interface.

I didn't have an open container of CA in which to dip the pen.
This would have allowed for faster application with the pen.
I loaded the pen quill from either the bottler or syringe.
But it's loading-up caused me to use the syringe across the sections.
Perhaps if I had cleaned it better there may not have been such reaction.

There was some minor migration but nothing like from the bottle. With that,
a cloth and brush kept the surface clean. Any gloss from glue drying on the
surface was brushed to a matte finish and the bridge looks undisturbed.

The beats are gone and the treble is clean and bright.

So, drafting pen for the tool case for spot sizing. Lubed syringe for extended
bridge pin sizing.
--

Regards,

Jon Page