Fw: v-bar/capo repair (filing compared)

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Tue Mar 21 17:05:58 MST 2006

Hi all,

Back to my picture of the Seiler capo/v-bar.  I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record, but I would like to hear of your filing experience.

I've never been one to look much at the capo/v-bar on grands, so I'm not familiar with the different "styles" out there.  This Seiler is a different design than Steinway.  I took at look at a Kawai GS-40 I worked on last week and it has the same set-up or one very similar to the Seiler.  Am I correct in assuming that the gray "hump" is the only hardened part?  I see the lighter & what looks like a flat surface from which the gray part protrudes.  It seems odd to see two such different surfaces like that--well, I guess strange, compared to the sort of all-in-one Steinway set up.

In the picture, the area where the first string is located doesn't look very impressive to me (uneven, less gray, more light colored surface), which I find troubling.

In general, it seems to me to get a good v-shape, I would need to grind off the edge of the light colored surface (is there potential harm in doing that?)--or do you just work with the small gray surface and leave the light colored surface alone?  It seems like it would be difficult to only work on the gray--but I could be mistaken since I haven't gotten my grimy little hands on it yet.

I had a go at some capo filing yesterday (on a different piano),  just to get some practice.  Well, that certainly is work!

One reason I am exploring this avenue, is my customer is rather picky and would prefer it if I didn't use "add-ons" (like pitch-locks--I practiced using those yesterday, too).  I would be more inclined to use the brass half round or half oval (of which I now have a nice selection), because IMO, it would look less like--"see, there's a problem here!"   I will end up doing whatever it takes, but I would like him to be pleased, if possible.

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL