v-bar/capo repair (filing compared)

Mark Bolsius markbolsius at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 21 18:42:51 MST 2006

Hi Barabara,

That light coloured stuff either side of the grey is probably filler,
sprayed on to the plate to smooth over the surface. The grey is the actual
iron, so if your strings are in contact with the filler, you'll definitely
have some tonal issues.

It should file away quite easily exposing the cast iron - then you can have
a good look at the profile of the bar and shape it accordingly.

Good luck

Mark Bolsius

Bolsius Piano Services

Canberra Australia