Filing Capos

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 21 21:33:14 MST 2006

All,
A bit of knowledge about filing is needed. There is a technique that is called "Draw Filing". This should be the technique employed when filing Capos. Rather than filing "toe to heel", one goes side to side. It's best to practice on a piece of steel, held in a vise to see the kind of results that are possible. I learned this technique in the Navy. It allows you to get extremely good accuracy.
When I'm filing a capo, I use a shortened file, with a short handle, so that I can get into the tight spots. Draw the file from one end of the Capo to the other and you'll be amazed at the accuracy you get.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I