Kimball Grand resembles B'dorf'

Carlos Ralon ceralon at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 21:36:06 MST 2006

Kent:
No Bosendorfer pianos were made at the Kimball factory.  I was a Kimball
dealor for 30 years, and have been to the factory many times.  They made the
Classic Series grands in 2 five foot models, and the 6'8 or 10" size.  These
were similar sizes to the Bosy.  They even made a few 9' models but not too
many.  On one trip they invited us dealers to inspect about six demo grands
at the factory.  They had burned in the Bosendorfer logo into the soundboard
of all of them and asked the guest to identify the solid as opposed to the
laminated boards.  We listened for tone, carry, power, etc.  It was hard to
tell by that method.  As a dealor/technician it was easy to notice the grain
pattern was different from the top to the bottom of the laminated boards.
They had no Bosy parts, and very few if any Bosey techs worked on any
Classic models.  I started as a dealor with Kimball in 1969.  They acquired
Bosendorfer in the late 70's.. You can check Fine's Piano Book.  We used to
call them "KimballDorfers".
Carlos Ralon, RPT