pedal lift rod squeal

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Wed Mar 22 12:29:52 MST 2006

Hi all,

Some good suggestions have been posted already. Another trap, if
you'll excuse the pun, is with new or rebuilt pianos when a
manufacturer insist on lacquering the entire pedal rods. The
lacquered parts which run through the guide bushes, and the lower end
which runs in the pedal bush, will very often get noisy as the
lacquer galls. We had this problem with our earlier-rebuilt pianos on
a couple of occasions, since one of our guys had trouble living with
rods which weren't all-over lacquered. However, removing the lacquer
from the rod length which travels through the bush and the ends will
very often help a noise situation.

Another problem with pedal rods is that manufacturers sometimes
assume that pedal levers are for some reason immune from the circular
motion friction problems that can plaque the levers in the action
mechanism. So its not uncommon to find sustain pedal under-keybed
levers which are not set square to the pedal rods at half travel. If
this is ignored the pedal mechanism will ultimately get noisy at the
interface between the brass pedal rod and the lever, regardless of
how well the surfaces are prepared by polishing and lubricating.
Sometimes the pedal arrangement needs to be completely rebuilt with
an improved leverage system. If the damper head/pedal ratio isn't
within the range of 2.5 - 3.4, it may be worth revising the ratio at
the same time. Around 3:1, ie around 13 - 14 mm of pedal tip travel
(excluding pedal free play) with around 4.5 mm of damper head lift
will work just fine.

Best,
Ron O.

--