Dampp-Chasers in institutional setting

Simone Tucci Piano Tuner-Technician tuccisimone at rogers.com
Wed Mar 22 14:00:30 MST 2006

Hi Forum

Haven't posted in a long while but, read posts from time to time which are great!

I have a question for the forum. I have thought about this but, I know that the right answers with come from the forum.

Question:

I currently work in an institution that has about 160 pianos. Around 80 grands and 80 uprights. There is a major problem with the climate there. Climate doing all the wrong things....much too hot (25C) and dry (18% average) The admin. has bought and placed humidifier units in all the studios and classrooms to combat the dryness. But, they are either empty, unplugged, turned off, or out in the hallway.

I made a suggestion to my colleague who is the head technician that we install Dampp-Chasers on all the pianos or just the grand pianos as a min. His response to me was to come up with a cost. Cost break down: Dampp-Chaser units, cost in maintaining them, approach to maintaining them etc.

We are contractors there and we are not there everyday. The building maintainance staff is currently filling the humidifiers that are in the rooms. I thought that if we install the units on the pianos we can have the maint. staff fill the Dampp-Chasers instead of filling the current humidifiers.

My question to the forum is. How are the other inst. tech's going about this? Time/money/approach? 80 or 160 Dampp-Chasers are a lot. I need to come up with a formula of $ and time. Daily service? etc.

Hope the forum can help?!

SIMONE TUCCI
Piano Tuner-Technician
Registered Craftsman Member of