puzzler...?

Tvak at aol.com Tvak at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 06:35:38 MST 2006

List

This might not be much of a puzzler, but it was a new one on me.

The piano: Essex (Young Chang) grand (just purchased---I was sent there by
the dealer for the free tuning w/purchase)

The problem: dampers that don't dampen

Found about a dozen dampers that weren't damping their strings.   Pushed down
on the strings: no follow-thru.  Something's holding the  dampers up, not
allowing them to descend all the way to properly dampen.   Checked the pedal rod
and that wasn't the problem.  The pitman (spelling?)  is in place properly, so
that's not it, either.

Here's the hint (Probably the give-away):

I noticed the hammers weren't letting off.

Probably too easy to be considered a real puzzler, but I never would have
made a connection between what the problem was and leaking dampers before, so
maybe someone will learn something from this.

Tom Sivak
Chicago