1983 Hamburg Steinway mod A (6"2") for sale

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Thu Mar 23 16:43:47 MST 2006

Fellow Pianotech listers,

While I understand that the list is not intended to be used for
people or technicians selling stuff, I ask you all to make an
exception for me on this occasion, to help an old friend who urgently
needs to sell his Steinway grand piano. I promised to help Julian Lee
out with disposing of this piano since he is an old friend and client.

Julian Lee has an illustrious past as a first class jazz pianist and
musical arranger. He remains a long time friend of George Shearing
after spending several years working with George as a pianist and
musical arranger in the US. Born in New Zealand, Julian has performed
for a wide range of audiences in Australia, New Zealand and the USA.
Now over eighty, he has retired with his wife Val to the Southern
Highlands, about an hour's drive south west of Sydney.

Julian purchased his model A new in 1983. Just over a year ago he
asked me about selling the piano to fund his ongoing retirement. To
return the piano to first class condition for sale, we pulled the
plate, reshaped and hardened the capo and duplex bars (Steinway now
do this as a routine part of their piano manufacture, but they have
only being doing it for a couple of years), reshaped the agraffe
string holes, refinished the plate, cleaned the sound board, repaired
several small polyester marks around the casework, reshaped the
hammers (the piano hasn't been played a great deal), checked over the
action for any centres which were out of specification regarding
friction, replaced the heel cloth and damper felt, and re-assembled
the instrument. This piano is now a very good example of a model A
from the early eighties (and yes, I resisted the temptation to make
design changes to the piano, so it remains essentially faithful to
its original specification).

I haven't photographed the piano but this can be arranged (happy to
send images via email). If you are interested in this piano please
email me privately using the link below.

mailto:ron at overspianos.com.au?subject=Interested_in_Julian's_piano

We can crate the piano for transport to anywhere on the planet. If
you'd like to play it first, autumn in Sydney is a beautiful time of
year to visit, and air fares are reasonable during the shoulder
season. Come down to Sydney for a short break, play Julian's piano
while you're here and take a tour of our small piano factory.

Thanks,
Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY