v-bar/capo repair (filing compared)

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Fri Mar 24 07:30:47 MST 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 10:39 AM, Barbara Richmond wrote:
> Thanks to everyone, Mark & Joe, for the information you've passed
> on to me.  With all the information and the practicing I've done, I
> feel like I can go in and find out what the heck is happening with
> this piano.

Here's an idea I remember from 12(?) years ago but never tried.
Guitar frets flatten with wear, and need to be restored to a small
radius profile. (Same thing with capo bars.) It seems as though is
would take the guess work out of forming a profile by hand when he
plate is still in the piano and you can only view the surface being
work, with a mirror. Anybody have any experience with these? Quite
likely guitar frets are much softer than plate iron, but Stewart-
MacDonald has diamond fret dressers.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/
Fretting_tools:_Fret_dressing,_polishing/Three-in-one_Fret_File.html

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.
wbps at vermontel.net