finishing tool handles

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 24 14:08:30 MST 2006

Hi, William.

I like oil finishes like Watco. The oil penetrates the surface, then the
solvents evaporate leaving the oil to polymerize, i.e. harden. This
forms a strong protective layer that becomes part of the wood structure,
and is easily renewed. It also leaves some of the porosity of the wood
surface, which gives the handle a better friction grip than a slick
coated finish. The oil finish can be left matte, or buffed to a nice
luster, though not a mirror shine, if desired. Different shades of stain
let you affect the natural color of the wood to some extent. But I don't
use wax, it's too slippery. Yes, the solvent smells for a while, and I'm
sure my brain has been toxified to some extent, but since I, uh, what
was I saying? ...

-Mark Schecter