Protecting plain wire from rust

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 24 22:15:44 MST 2006

Hi, all. Here's something I've been wondering about.

In pianos with rusty strings, I use Protek on the strings where they
pass under the capo, and where they pass through the agraffes, as well
as on the counterbearing felt, to help ease rendering. It works, and
seems to keep on working for at least a few months, maybe longer. I have
often wondered if there is any substance (such as, oh, maybe, Protek?)
that people use on clean, shiny strings to prevent rust or tarnish ever
developing? I could imagine taking whole rolls of wire and dipping it in
a bath of XYZ-stuff before stringing, or sponging it on in the piano.

We are instructed to coat practically every other metal surface in every
device in our lives (think car) with something or other, so why not
piano strings? I guess we could expand the question to include
copper-wound bass strings, too, if anyone has any thoughts about those.
I'm interested to hear people's ideas.

-Mark Schecter