Protecting plain wire from rust

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 25 04:32:00 MST 2006

Mark,
Make yourself a small  oil cloth by working a small amt. of Vaseline in a
small piece of fabric ( T-shirt material). Simply wipe the string with the
oil cloth just prior to installation and the string will remain looking new
even through bad tropical  conditions.
We live in the tropics where hurricanes have wrecked havoc in our area over
the past 2 years. Where most pianos strings rusted out due to the excessive
salt exposure, the pianos we have rebuilt using this methods came out
squeaky clean.
There doesn't seem to be an adverse affect on tonal and string behavior
using this method.
I idea of using Protek has crossed my mind however the cost vs the Vaseline
doesn't make good economic sense.
Tom Servinsky