planers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 25 10:05:36 MST 2006

> Snipe would be a concern as one of the things I will use this for is
> planing out those little cutouts from Steinway long bridges.  Similarly,
> I will be running the topside through the planer as well.  What is the
> best way to avoid snipe when pushing something like that through?
>
> David Love

The biggest problem is unsupported stock ends. With everything
else in the planer set up and adjusted to specs (particularly
bed rollers and pressure bar), lifting up on the back end of
the stock as it goes in (at least until the outfeed roller has
the front end), and lifting up on the front end (as the infeed
roller loses the back end, until the stock clears the blades),
minimizes snipe. Bed rollers should be  barely above table
height for hardwoods. Some adjust the bed rollers clear down
to bed surface height. If the stock will feed with that much
bed friction, that helps too.

Ron N