planers

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Mar 25 10:38:41 MST 2006

My experience mirrors Ron N's. I haven't made any adjustments to my planer's
rollers, but by lifting up on the stock as the end comes through the knives,
I can usually eliminate any snipe. I just made three new bridge roots for a
client and I ran both the tops and bottoms of all three bridge roots through
the planer to thickness them and had no snipe.

If I don't hold up a longer board going through, it will snipe the end.

When I am building soundboard panels (including your's - today!), I run the
subpanels through my 12-1/2" Dewalt two-knife planer and again, by lifting
the subpanels as the other end approaches the planer knives, I avoid any
snipe.

I've run pinblocks and all sorts of things through my planer, and it seems
that as long as I support the hanging end of the long board, I can get
around the snipe issue.

I would suppose that some planers are better than others in that regard -
don't know though, as mine is the only one I have ever used.

Terry Farrell