Spindle Sander Review

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Mar 25 22:48:20 MST 2006

Brad Smith, RPT wrote:

>Hi Jon,
>I also bought the Rigid Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander.  Thanks
>again for mentioning it.  Last month, I did a set of Steinway upright
>hammers, and today I am about to use if for trimming a set of
>installed hammer shanks and then tapering hammer tails. ( I like to
>hang hammers first, then taper tails with Spurlock's jig).

Brad,

Santa brought me a new Jet oscillating spindle sander and, as you
indicate, it has become indispensable for shop work. The only complaint
I have with the Jet is the dust removal ability but I've installed a
little panel that closes the open area under the table and now the shop
vacuum is way more effective at removing dust.

You mention tapering hammer tails, using the Spurlock jig, after hanging
the hammers. Did you mean "arcing" the tails? I taper the tails with a
table saw.

>Have you come up with any jigs or ideas for using it to file/shape hammers?
>On the set I did, I found that because of the gradually changing size
>of hammers, I had to 'free hand' each one, and I had to quickly
>develop a manual technique to carefully remove felt symmetrically.
>Maybe I need to see Chris Robinson's class you mentioned, where he
>uses an orbital sander....
> They came out fine and I'm not nearly as worn out or full of dust as
>I would the old way, but I would love to find a way to put each hammer
>on a jig to absolutely control the amount of felt removed.
>
>Any ideas anyone?

I think you pretty well answered your own question, i.e., free handing
each one. Like so many things piano related, some skill is required, but
I find that with a combination of a careful eye, the Stanwood charts and
a gram scale, I ended up with a good result on my first go around.

For arcing, I clamp the Spurlock jig on the spindle sander table and
also made another jig for coving on the same machine.

Tom Cole