Yamaha GB1

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Mar 26 10:49:04 MST 2006

> Hi Ron,
>
> I'd love to know the criteria that you consider important.
>
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.

Hi Don,
I don't think it's anything I haven't said before. Besides the
usual wish for a good feeling solid and responsive action,
it's the sound. I want a rich and detailed bass, aurally
undetectable crossover, a low tenor that doesn't honk, a
killer octave that doesn't fall apart at higher attack levels,
a clear treble with good sustain and without falseness. I want
front duplexes that don't whistle and squeal, and a tonal
balance that sounds like all registers belong in the same
piano. I want it to play softly, should anyone consider it
necessary, with control. A good broad usable dynamic range
that doesn't get ugly anywhere within it's range, and an
overall tone that doesn't clang like almost everything out
there does these days. I don't much care about absolute power,
but richness of sound. Complexity and character rather than
volume. It's the same shopping list I have in mind when I get
to rebuild a piano with modifications.

The new Mason & Hamlins started out looking like they were
headed in this direction, but they have since hardened the
hammers, and sound much like everything else now. The Walters
also have good potential, but they're hanging way too hard a
hammer on them too.

One opinion,
Ron N