Yamaha GB1

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Mar 26 11:23:03 MST 2006

It's an uphill battle.  You wouldn't think so, but it is.  People like what
they are used to and habits are hard to break.  I recently was called on to
look at an S&S D for someone (concert level pianist) that she didn't like.
Something about it just wasn't quite right, she said.  She had two of them.
When I got to the pianos it was before she had returned home and I tried
them both before she arrived.  One of them was unusual for many of the
Steinway D's I hear.  The tone was clear and balanced, no leakage, no
distortion, nice pianissimo but adequate power, basically, one of the nicest
D's I'd ever heard.  The other one was percussive and bright, some splatter
in the killer octave, distortion in the tenor at forte levels, loud and
louder throughout.  You guessed it, the one she had complaints about was the
one I liked and she wanted me to make it sound like the other one.  After
two hours of note by note, section by section, piece by piece comparison
exploring the language of tone in detail, her view completely flipped and
we're now talking about a rebuild on the one she thought she liked.  During
the conversation it became clear that the more compromised piano was what
she was used to hearing when she concertized which contributed heavily to
her developed set of standards.

It can be a very awkward situation when rebuilding pianos on spec and having
to make decisions about what makes a good sounding instrument versus what
most people are expecting and will probably be easier to sell.  Not that I'm
confused about my own developing philosophy or the path I prefer to take,
but the decision can be stressful.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net