Protecting plain wire from rust

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 26 12:43:41 MST 2006

Hi, Patrick.

Thanks for the link. That's interesting about stainless. I looked
through their site, and the info seems pretty complete if one's interest
is in restoring historical instruments. I wonder whether anyone on the
list has used stainless wire for a very modern instrument, or do the
strength and elasticity numbers rule it out? Never having attempted the
math, I have no numeric reality on the difference in tension between a
"low" tension modern instrument, and a "high" tension modern instrument
using modern wire. Is the difference that large that stainless would
work on the former but not the latter?

Thanks again.

-Mark