How to diagnose YC Expanding Action Brackets

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Mar 28 05:34:44 MST 2006

And - ask if the action has been regulated recently - if let-off is okay, it
could be because adjustments have been made recently.

Look to see whether the let-off dowels are adjusted way down.

Check action spread. Check the archives - or maybe someone else has the
specs handy - YC has two spread measurements that correspond to the age of
the action (they changed during the expanding action bracket era).

If action spread is on target, the let-off dowels do not appear to be turned
down excessively, and let-off is not close or hammers blocking, then the
piano SHOULD be okay.

Also, contact YC and give them the serial number and ask whether it is
likely to fall within the expanding bracket era. A 1992 MAY be at the tail
end of the expanding bracket era.

The only other thing I can think of to do would be to bring new brackets
with you and compare.

And, FWIW, replacement of problem brackets COMPLETELY solves the problem. If
that is done and the action regulated nicely, and if the rest of the piano
is in nice shape, such a piano might go for a song-and-a-dance! I usually
figure somewhere around $1K+ for a complete solution.

Terry Farrell