laminated ribs

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Mar 28 14:26:02 MST 2006

Dont mean to butt in on a nice discussion I've been following.. but I
have a question thats been bothering me ever since the Bluthner
discussion was up a bit back..

If you have soundboard grain alligned roughly perpendicular to the
bridge... and assuming for the moment that you are able to create with
this allignment enough load support for a low tension / low load
scale....  what are the real demands for cross grain load support ?  And
is this (can it be ?) independant from the need for cross grain stiffness?

Thanks
RicB