vintage chickering plate removal

Steve Ganz steveganz at mailaka.net
Tue Mar 28 15:42:13 MST 2006

The Chickering I saw had a full parameter plate that was on all 4 sides
mortised into the rim.  Judging from the plate screws that poked out
from under the mortise, I'd say that the plate was under the rim about 1
inch.  Breaking apart the inner rim would be no real problem.  Just an
afternoon with a chisel and a router.  Making it look like I had never
done this was a different problem.  I'm sure it could be done.  Find the
right veneer, glue the inner rim up in strips, clamp it all together,
veneer and finish to match.  Figure about 2 days of problems you don't
anticipate and I'd be surprised if you had less than 50 hrs in the job.
This is on top of a major rebuild.  The pin block is also mortised in.
Taking apart the inner rim would make this job easier, but still about 4
times as long as just making a normal block.  At this point the job is
getting quite expensive.  The real question is, what do you have when
you are done?  An 1850 Chickering.  Better to buy some lesser known
larger piano from 1900-20 and rebuild it.  Less time, less money,
greater satisfaction.  If you really want the case, find one built in
the 80's and 90's.  Plenty of rosewood from that era.