oversoftened hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Mar 30 07:30:57 MST 2006

How deep and how close to the strike point did you needle?  Is it too soft
on a hard blow or on a soft blow or both?  Mike's suggestions are good.  If
the problem is too soft on a soft blow, then polishing with fine paper will
help.  If it's too soft on a hard blow, then pounding the felt with a small
hammer (support the tail on a platform and hold the hammer firmly with your
hand to prevent stressing the centers) will help.  By needling in the lower
part of the hammer (down in the 8:00 and 4:00 range and below) you can
sometimes release some tension from the lower part of the hammer back into
the crown.  One thing I would not do is use any hardeners on that type of
hammer.  Sometimes an application of pure acetone (soak the hammer) will
shrink the felt slightly and firm things up a bit.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net