Time Management: Shop work and tuning appointments.

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Thu Mar 30 14:21:14 MST 2006

I can share with you what I remember of SHeldon Smith's operation back in
the early 70s. He had a shop not far from his house, where he rebuilt pianos
- it was large enough for five or six grands. The back half of the shop was
his partner's operation - a refinisher - they shared the shop but maintained
different businesses - they would bid jointly on a rebuild/refinish job.
Sheldon's philosophy was "estimate high and then do quality work without
worrying about the clock" - Gary OTOH counted minutes.
SHeldon would come into the shop about 6 am and work til 9, then go out and
tune 6 pianos, and sometimes return to the shop for more work in the
evening. He had two assistants who worked fulltime in the shop.
/Jason