Time Management: - in review..

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Fri Mar 31 03:45:55 MST 2006

I thank all of you who have chimed in on this delicate subject, both
publicly and privately.

I tend to agree with the majority that dedicated days for both shop and
field is most likely the way to go. The next challenge for me is to get
to the point where a 'day in the shop' will be just that - a day in the
shop and not worry about the potential lost income from not doing
tunings in the field. I'll have dedicated days to do that. The one thing
I did not mention was my Concert work, and the reason I didn't mention
it is because: let's say I dedicate Monday as a shop day, but I have 2
tunings at 3 & 6 PM. I have shown up for my concert gig literally in
swim trunks, a t-shirt and flip-flops - they don't care how I look as
long as the piano is cool with the artist. I could never show up to a
regular client's home in anything less than my usual Business Casual
look (no, I don't wear a tie, but have considered it..and still may do it).

As far as the comments about refinishing becoming more of a burden and a
time-consuming endeavor: I guess I'll have to cross that bridge at that
time. I do view refinishing as a similar process as learning how to tune
and repair: you do not have a full book right away when you start. I
don't expect to have a full book when I start and I am not expecting
technicians to ship their pianos to me because I will probably not be
cost-effective to them. My refinishing endeavor goal is to offer this as
part of the rebuilding package, not as a singular item. Under those
conditions, I don't see refinishing taking over my shop time. I hear
those that see refinishing as a time-consumer, and thanks.

Water-based vs. Nitro - a no-brainer for me - learn the benefits and
drawbacks of both. I have not worked with water yet...and don't forget
Poly folks.....

JR White: If the shop goes up in flames, so does the house. I think that
might make me a tad mad....! I hear you though.

tools - I need more tools!!!,

-Phil Bondi(Fl)