laminated ribs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 30 20:41:17 MST 2006

>     _Ah, then you're getting down into super soft hammer country
>     where you'll be adding lots more ribs very soon now._
>
>    Ron... Are you saying that in Something like a Steinway A (or other)
> which in my opinion has a pretty good rib scale as far as mechnanical
> support goes that increasing the beam strength on the original 12 ribs
> isn't enough stiffness to support bearing without adding more ribs?
>   Dale

Dale,
Those ribs were originally built into a CC board. How can a
compression crowned board get mechanical support from the rib
scale, however "good" the scale looks? The ribs in CC boards
resist the crown that panel compression is trying to form and
maintain, and just put more compression load on the panel.
It's an entirely different system. Do a bearing load analysis
on the ribs as load carrying beams and see what the numbers
say. They'll say that the rib scale isn't adequate to support
bearing without substantial panel compression support.

Ron N