Broken Strings

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 23:07:28 MST 2006

"...so I'm not sure if I could have avoided the break..." At the pin is a very common place for strings to break. 3 in one piano is not a very good score, but I once had 5 break (original strings, I think, in an 1890 piano)
Did you turn them a little to the left (flatter) before pulling them up? That can help break rust adhesions.

"Anyhow, I figure I should "splice" the old strings." Well, maybe, but if they are all popping, you may get a little frustrated. Strings lose their elasticity as they age, becoming more brittle, and sometimes very hard to bring up to pitch without snapping. Sometimes you feel a little "shelf" where further pulling becomes difficult and the pitch isn't moving and then wham.

"Since the "splice" would be where the string isn't "live", is it necessary I use the identical thickness of wire?"  That's the ideal but you'd be amazed at what is out there on tied strings. The really critical factor here is whether or not the new piece can take the tension required for that string to be at pitch.

"Do you wear gloves when handling wire?" Another jim-dandy idea that most people don't do. I do when restringing but for repairs to old pianos? Nah. The new piece will outlast the old anyway, probably. If you tend to have very acidic, sweaty hands, then by all means protect the wire. Also, see recent posts on using light oil on a rag to wipe down strings. BUT NOT close to or in the coil.

"Also if anyone is in the Toronto area could you refer me to a store where I can buy supplies.  I have been purchasing everything online so far and the shipping wait times make it hard for me to sleep at night." Wholesale + Shipping is bound to be less than retail, unless you are paying "minimum order" penalties. Have you opened an account with Schaff? That's a reasonable source. They do have a $20 minimum order, however, except--ironically--when ordering bass strings.

BTW, bass string splices are not the easiest for "first timers". Practice on some thinner stuff until you are sure what your are doing. MAKE DANGED SURE THE OLD STRING WIRE IS UNDER ANY PRESSURE BAR OR THROUGH ANY AGRAFFE BEFORE YOU SPLICE IT.  I think everybody learns that one the hard way, but I'm giving you a chance to avoid excessive string-work cussing in the coming days.

Have Band-Aids handy.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri