laminated ribs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 31 12:15:55 MST 2006

> Is that so? Are CC soundboards designed? Are they simply "built the way
> the original masters built them"? Maybe it's just an art. Maybe, like
> Spock, the master does a Sitka/Eastern-White Mind Meld, and then just
> knows what the wood wants.
>
> But seriously, are they designed? Or is it just a combination of
> empirical results and "that's the way they've always done it"?
>
> Terry Farrell

Someone at some point built the first one by drying the panel
and gluing on flat ribs. That's design of the process or
method, I'd say, if not individual boards. The rest seems to
be short term assumption, trial and error, and guesswork. The
results pretty obviously indicate that the outcome and aging
property of any particular board is still largely serendipity,
even closely following the method.

Ron N