wierd hammer line

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 23:52:16 MST 2006

Greetings,

           On a Samick 6' grand when the stack is pulled out and all the
hammers are lifted forward, (as when examining the jack windows) I noticed that
the hammer line is "all over the place"(!) I don't believe I have ever seen this
unevenness! It is really un-nerving!  I mean some hammers stop way forward
and others are 1" to 2" back further. I mean; its not even a smooth "wave" it
looks, well... radical and...wrong. I have been tuning pianos for 3 years, and
have only done one grand regulation in that time. (People just dont ask for
it.) Piano tech school was 4 years ago for me, so I cant remember what forward
hammer-line should look like and I dont own a grand piano (yet) to check it out.

             The piano is about 15 years old and also the drop screws are
screwed in all unevenly (all different depths drastically unveven from adjacent
neighbors). I would think that being a relatively young piano, and played maybe
2 hours a day average, that the regulation would look more even than this.
The lady told me that when the piano was new she had it regulated and paid $400
to have it done. So this "regulation" isnt factory. THe only thing that looks
any decent is the key leveling and the back checking.

               Shouldnt the regulation look more even on a newer piano ie:
the capstans all nearly the same height and letoff buttons and drop screws
almost the same to their neighbors?

Thanks
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA