wierd hammer line

J Patrick Draine draine at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 05:51:35 MST 2006

Juia,
How hammers line up when the stack is off the keyframe, and the
hammers are all lifted 90 degrees (and much more, depending) is
irrelevant, even though it may "look bad." The hammers don't really
need to rotate that far forward in the piano. That said, if those
drop screws really are adjusted all willy nilly, they may interfere
with some of hammers from flopping all the way forward on the bench.
The real question is, how is the drop when the action is assembled
and in the piano?
Probably pretty bad, in which case the regulation could be a factor
in the lack of power on certain notes. Have you checked the action
centers, especially on the weak notes? Samicks have had problems with
seizing action centers (damper lever centers too!) -- you may need to
repin some culprits, and the tone of those notes may improve.
Patrick Draine