Question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 31 13:35:32 MST 2006

> And if I'm not mistaken, at least one famous manufacturer dries the
> panel DOWN (yeah, that's more correcter :-) and then glues on FLAT ribs
> (in a caul of some radius.

So I hear.

> I have not ever heard of any small shop building pure CC boards with
> flat ribs. Why not?

You used to. Among the few shops who built soundboards, hot
boxes, flat ribs, and dished go-bar decks were the coin of the
realm. If you couldn't afford the space and money investment,
you didn't build soundboards. Somewhere along the line,
crowned ribs (60' radius) became desirable, and were widely
adopted while still faithfully reproducing the rib dimensions
with that one change. It's apparently not uncommon in Europe
to re rib the old panels with flat ribs, and list discussions
of not that many years back indicated there were still shops
in this country using flat ribs and curved caul(s). The old
stuff never dies, It just doesn't get the press it used to....
  <G>

>And how can they claim to "not change the design of
> the original masters"?
>
> Terry Farrell

Beats me, but they often claim just that.

Ron N