Question About Piano Tuning Using Accutuner SAT III

Robert Finley rfinley at rcn.com
Fri Mar 31 22:09:15 MST 2006

I would like to ask those of you who use the Accutuner SAT III what step by step procedure you use to tune a piano? Do you calculate the FAC with the SAT III, and then use it to set the temperament using the sequence function for one of the stored temperaments (such as the  Potter FA temperament)? Having set the temperament, do you then tune octaves up the piano to the top and then octaves down the piano, and finally tune the unisons aurally?

My question is, do you do follow the same step by step procedure as you would for aural tuning, but instead of listening and adjusting for the correct beat rates when setting the intervals in the temperament and octaves, you tune the strings to stop the lights on the SAT? I assume that you would perform various aural tests as you progress such as listening for the 1 bps rate of the 4ths and slow roll of the 5ths, and perform the 3rd-10th tests for octaves (i.e. the 10th beating slightly faster than the 3rd) to confirm that the SAT is producing the correct result?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Robert Finley