Yet another newbie

deanslist deanslist at comcast.net
Mon May 1 14:00:50 MDT 2006

Hi all.

As an introduction, I am changing direction career-wise. My former career of horse breeding
does not exactly mesh well with being a mother. The hours were outrageous and unpredictable.
I am a serious piano student with an eye toward getting a second degree a few years down the
road, this time in music. So I've naturally become interested in how the piano works and what is
required to maintain it. Now I am ready to pursue learning to tune, regulate, repair, etc. Having a
useful and marketable skill would be a good thing.

So far, I have looked at the correspondence courses, but have not committed. I have serious
reservations. Ideally, I  would prefer to find someone willing to take on a part time apprentice in
the fall. (My kid will be in all day Kindergarten.) The packet from the PTG arrived the other day,
and I see that I will need a sponsor to join. Any tips on finding one? I've been emailing back and
forth with Ruth Webb of Allied Piano (it's not far from me.) Also, I will be calling the local PTG
chapter president (Southeastern PA) this week to try and get some direction.

My practice piano - a vintage 1920 Somethingorother upright will be arriving on May 16th. Brand
is unknown because the second previous owner antiqued the thing, ruining a beautiful case, I
am told.

Sorry this is so long. I would appreciate any advice you can provide that wasn't already in today's
 other Newbie thread.

One other question: How do you search the archives? I did read the FAQ, but did not see a
search function anywhere on the archive pages.

Thank you!

Sara Nash