Yet another newbie

Michael Spalding spalding48 at earthlink.net
Mon May 1 15:14:42 MDT 2006

Sara,

Welcome to the list, and welcome to piano technology second-career-land.

You are wise to have reservations about correspondence courses as your only education source.  As others have pointed out recently, guided practice is the only way to achieve proficiency.  Consider the correspondence course in combination with apprenticeship.  Study new knowledge and skills on  your own, use your time with your mentor to practice what you have already studied.  Randy Potter has an excellent course.  http://www.pianotuning.com/  Contact Randy for a booklet explaining in 20 pages what I just wrote 2 sentnces about:  How to use his course as an apprentice.  Good luck.

could be worse:  My sister-in-law just gave up horse breeding-training-racing and went back to work as an accountant.

Mike