Steingraeber factory pictures, bridge agraffes & adjustable vertical hitchpins

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu at gmx.net
Tue May 2 15:23:48 MDT 2006

Hello Yoshi!

The Paulello agraffes are not exactly like the Steingraeber ones, as Richard
explained. They are both touching the string in 3 points, but the string
bearing on them is reversed.
In the Steingraeber the string (as seen from the speaking length) bears
frist downward on the front agraffe edge, then upward on the pin that locks
the strings, and then downward again on the on the back agraffe edge.
In the Paulello agraffes, the strings bear first upwards on those holes,
then downwards on the round pin, and upwards again on the holes to the rear.
I have never played a Paulello piano, so i can't comment on how his agraffes
work. But I would expect an effect quite similar to the ones used by
Steingraeber.

Regards,

Calin Tantareanu

  _____