Steingraeber factory pictures, bridge agraffes & adjustable vertical hitchpins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 2 21:48:51 MDT 2006

> Yes, the string bearing is reversed, but the concept behind is that you
> don't have tension sideways on the bridge, which helps the soundboard
> vibrate more freely.
>
> Yoshi

And how does that work? In my world, the soundboard isn't
changed by the string termination at the bridge, and will
vibrate pretty much the same with either system. The real
difference is in the mass on the bridge which, if anything,
will impede the vibrational freedom (amplitude, in this case)
of the soundboard assembly by lowering it's resonant
frequency, increasing it's mechanical impedance, and extending
sustain.
Ron N